What to Do If Your Car Overheats
Auto maintenance in San Diego is never easy, but there are some important things that any vehicle owner in San Diego should do if their car starts to overheat:
- Stop Driving. The most efficient way to ensure that you need a new engine is to drive your car after the engine beings to overheat. In some cases, even driving to the nearest exit will be too far.
- Call a Tow Truck. You may be concerned with the $50 or so you need to spend to make it to your mechanic, but it is cheaper than risking driving your car. The worst-case scenario is that you will be stranded on the side of the road as your vehicle catches fire.
- Do Not Open the Hood with your Hands. If you are seeing white smoke, it is too late for your engine. Pullover if you are able to, but only pop the hood if you have an interior-controlled latch.
How to Prepare your Car for San Diego Summer Temperatures
Here are some ways you can prepare to keep under the hood of your car cool during hot San Diego summers:
- Carry Water and Antifreeze. It is recommended that you carry extra water or coolant with you during the summer months. You should also inspect your coolant level routinely throughout the season in case it needs a top off.
- Check your Temperature Gauge. As you are driving, watch how warm your engine is. If you start to notice it creeping into the red, turn off the air conditioner and take it easy on the engine. Turning the heater on blat can help move some of the heat from the engine.
- Keep your Coolant in Good Condition. In some cases, when you notice that your coolant is a bit low, you just need to add water. This water will dilute the coolant ratio, so you are at risk of boiling over.
- Inspect Belts and Hoses. The failure of belts or hoses can contribute to a blown radiator or worse.
- Understand your Vehicle. If you know that your vehicle has a hard time going uphill, do not do it with the air conditioner on full blast — particularly in the summer heat. Do not put you and your car in a dangerous situation in order to save unwanted damage or hassle.
New vehicles are less likely to overheat, but forgetting to check your cooling system can lead to severe car issues later on. Schedule an appointment with a qualified auto mechanic in San Diego at Automobile Repair Shop San Diego today.
Auto Repair in San Diego
Automobile Repair Shop San Diego is a family-owned and operated repair shop that has provided quality auto repair in San Diego for years. We offer you hassle-free estimates and repairs in San Diego starting with a precise assessment of your vehicle’s current issues. We will tow your vehicle for FREE to our shop, organize a rental car, and work directly with the insurance company to streamline the repair process. We will even pay up to $500 of your deductible. Contact us today at (619) 330-0862 to see how we can help.